Monday, February 6, 2012

Farm Update!

Hello out there! I am back with a post with photos! My first photo is of one of the many corn seedlings that have sprouted! I read about Blue Jade Corn in my Sunset Magazine issue from a few months ago. I went online and ordered from Seed Savers. I ordered a few other things as well but this was the main reason for the order. The corn is only supposed to be 3 feet tall with 3-6 ears per plant. I don't know how well it will turn out, but we'll see.

Of course, seeds have been started indoors and are slowly being acclimated to the outdoors. I have moved out many of the seedlings in the actual tray and have transplanted them into yogurt cups. I have started more seeds in the spaces that were opened up. There is no sense in leaving the area empty. Besides, I feel like I am running behind this year already.

I've dedicated a full 3x3 bed for the blue jade corn but also have started more seeds in trays in case not all of the seeds in the bed germinate correctly.



I sowed some root veggies in the Fall and they are doing fantastic. The photo shows some beets with gorgeous tops. I'm not sure if the tops are edible but they look amazing. This bed also has newly planted onion bulbs. Red, white and sweet onions take up most of the bed and those have started to show signs of life. There is also a small batch of carrots that were planted with the beets and these are looking look too.


We've also got fava beans growing in the garden this season and I have no idea what to expect. The seeds for these came from the seed packets that my mother in law gave me. We don't know what we are going to do with all of these beans but I'm sure they will not go to waste.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


The last photo shows my brand new babies from the nursery. I have a dedicated bed for strawberries but it is only about half full. I will be adding these seedlings once they grow up. I know that once I get them into the ground, they will take off and I can't wait.

This is it for now and I hope to update more often.

Luis

This week's photos can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. making me hungry. When buying from a nursery, be sure to ask if the seedlings have been exposed to any poisons. Non-GMO/organic are safer & best. Yes, beet greens are eatable. Wash throughly. Cook like any greens. Remember, though, that too much beets is heavy on the liver. The blk&wht spider is a wolf spider of sorts. Entertaining & beneficial. A.

    ReplyDelete