Monday, October 31, 2011
Farm Update: 10/31/11
There hasn't been a huge amount of change from last week but there are a few new pieces in the garden.
Let's get started...
This is the first row cover/ cat shield that I came up with and it seems to be doing the trick pretty well. If you have been reading my recent blog posts, this is the same structure that had the blue cover on it. The blue cover was actually a plastic table cloth that I found in the garage but it just wasn't working for me. The Southern California weather is great for gardening and the need for row covers is not always as great as it is in other parts of the country. Anyways, the pepper plants were basically being steamed inside of this thing and not doing much good. I know it is hard to tell but it has been covered with bird netting and it seems to be doing the trick. I decided to do it this way because it helps shield from critters leaving a nice present and doesn't cook the plants. When it does get cold, I can just put a blanket over it at night or some other covering.
The other tomato plants in this shot are the main producers for now. They are still pumping out some delicious tomatoes. I don't know how much longer they will hold out but I am in no hurry to pull them.
The small beds are showing life and we may have some harvesting soon.
The larger plants in this bed are the radishes. I can't remember the variety but I do remember it is only 29 days for these radishes. I know they aren't getting all of the sun they should be and they may take a little longer but that is fine with me.
There are quite a few other things that are also coming up in these two beds. We have carrots, lettuce, and possibly beets already showing signs of life. The other thing coming up are tomato seedlings, but I don't remember planting tomatoes in these beds. I did mix in some compost and that could be the source of the seeds.
Here is the same overview shot you see in every update. As you can see, there has not been much of a change. Peppers and tomatoes keep producing. The biggest changes have occurred in the last two beds on the right. The once covered up with the yard guard, now has the pvc cover that is shown on the last one and I have built another cover for that last bed. The cover was moved over because the yard guard wasn't allowing the cucumber plant to grow. I gives the plants more breathing room. I am excited that the strawberries seem to take up more space in the last bed. I have picked a few strawberries and they are little delicious snacks.
Well, we have come to the end of this update. Stay tuned for the next one.
Find the rest of the photos for this update HERE!