Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekly Farm Update: 8/7/11

Welcome back to another week of updates. Yesterday we put down the main line for the drip / irrigation system for the plants in the yard.. My mother in law was kind enough to pay for a $40 kit that has pretty much all we need. The kit comes with 200 ft of tubing and it was wrapped all the way around the perimeter of the yard and then some. We will be putting in all the sprays and attachments to it. A timer will be set and manual watering will be minimal, at least that is the hope. Of course, I will be sharing all of that here.

As you can see, the strawberries are thriving in the pot and have sent out shoots looking for more room. I just need to find the room for it but I am thinking of adding another 3x3 to the main area of the garden. There is room on the end of the garden, near the patio. The drip system goes right over that area anyways, so nothing will really need to be moved.

The other biggest thing coming out of the garden this year, other than tomatoes, is peppers. Like I've said before, I promised my wife Banana Peppers last year but that didn't happen. I guess the plants know that and they are producing like crazy. Wait, I should say plant, we've only got 1 plant and we don't know what to do with all of them. They have been eaten fresh and cooked into different dishes but there are so many of them. I know we can probably pickle or can them but I am not ready to try my hand at that yet.




The raised beds are doing well and bursting with tomatoes and peppers. The yellow pear tomatoes are growing up the new trellis and it seems to be working fine. It is definitely much easier to harvest and allows for better air circulation.

Peppers, tomatoes and a few eggplants have come out of these three beds but they are not done producing yet. I did some light harvesting today but more needs to be down tomorrow. I'm not sure where we will find the room in the refrigerator but they will soon find homes.

The weather here has been funky here and the plants don't know what to do. They look like they've had enough and begin to wilt. A few days later, there is new growth and all of sudden, it is completely lush. There is so much green that it does not look like the same plant.

This has happened with this tomato plant and it has many small green fruits on it. I love Southern California for the longer seasons, but it is strange sometimes.





The last photo for this week is of a "mutant" yellow pear tomato. I looks like 3 tomatoes that decided to join hands to form a larger tomato. There have been many of these and they are eaten up just like the "normal" ones.

Til next week!

Luis

P.S:  This week's photos are HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment