Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Weekly Farm Update! 8/2/11

I know I'm running late this week but there is a great reason for it. The weekend was spend in Yosemite and at the state fair. The snow was plentiful this year in the mountains which made for amazing waterfalls. I haven't had a chance to edit those yet but it should be up this week on my photography blog. (Link now added in sidebar)

Last week I mentioned some construction in the garden and here is a shot of it.  PVC pipes and nylon netting were used to build a large trellis structure for the raised beds. Large for me is 6 feet tall by 9 feet wide. Each "square" is 3x5 feet and the extra foot was turned into feet.

I'm not sure how much weight it will hold but we shall see. For now, I have woven some of the yellow pear tomato plants and it seems to be holding up. I am planning to growing different things on it and will be sharing results here.

This is the bed in the back and the radishes are getting bigger everyday. The wife has already enjoyed the first radish and loved it. She did say that it was a little spicy and it emitted a strong scent. I'm not a fan of radishes but she loves them and that is all that matters.

This bed has more than just radishes and seedlings are slowly coming up. I'm not positive as to why this is happening, but it may just be the sun exposure. I know it does get sun but it may not be enough. Radishes are a cooler season crop and are fairly easy to grow. We'll see what happens.

This photo is to show off some lovely yellow pear tomatoes but also showing off the new trellis.  Like I said before, I don't know how this new trellis will hold up.

The tomatoes this season have been plentiful and I hope to keep it this way for a little longer. I will see about planting the fall garden but I may cheat a little by running over to the nursery for some seedlings.

I am keeping it short this week but will, hopefully, be doing some work / chores in the garden and may have a larger update for next time.

Luis

This week's photos can be found HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment