Monday, August 15, 2011

Weekly Farm Update: 8/15/11

I am now figuring out that Monday night updates may be the better option. We have been so busy, on the weekends, that there is only enough time to take some photos and edit them but not much more. We'll see how I do as time goes on but it is time for some photos and a treat at the end!

Our first shot this week is a plant near the garden that has gorgeous orange blooms. I'm not sure what it is called but I know it has "lion" in the name somewhere. I trim it down every year and it keeps coming  back.




The pepper plants in this bed are not looking so hot but they don't appear to be dying, at least too badly. I also tossed in some beet seeds and some of those have already sprouted. I also had an onion growing in a cup and it seems to have taken root and it is larger everyday. 

The pin-wheel helps hold the chicken wire in place and adds a little color to an otherwise, dull bed. 


The beds look pretty much the same but continue to put out peppers and tomatoes. The end of the season is not too far away and I'm already planning the needed upgrades. Another large bed is planned where the small brick beds sit. The brick beds seem to be doing fine, but I just want something a little more stable and unified.

I've already added another 3x3 bed into the main garden and there was no actual building necessary!


I was checking on the beds, that are behind the garage, and dug around a little to see if any other seedlings were popping up. I dug in a corner of the bed and realized that it was pretty much soaked all the way through and fairly cold. As it turns out, the sun doesn't really get enough back there for anything to really grow, except for radishes. 

I grabbed the shovel and mixed the soil to air it out. Of course, this was done only after all the radishes had been pulled. I then filled up a trash can with about half of the soil and moved it over to the new area for this bed, which is on the end of the garden nearest to the patio.

Next came the chore of moving the wooden bed itself but that just lifted straight up with no issues. The new area was leveled and cleaned up. The recycle bin was the next thing dragged over and all the cardboard and newspaper went down first. The bed was set on top and was filled with a new bag of garden soil, grass clippings/compost and the wet soil from the trash can. A little mixing followed and a roll of yard guard was placed on top to keep the cats out. 

The photo shows the bed in the original space it was placed but all that is left is just soil with a large pice of chicken wire that is held down with bricks. I don't want the cats getting into that either. I'm not sure what I will do with the area but I may toss in some flower seeds. The other bed in the photo is still there but that too may be moved into the main part of the garden. I wanted to keep open area in the garden for direct in ground planting but it is a pain to keep messing with chicken wire. I already have some ideas as to how to keep it  cat free.

The last photo for this week is one that shows off on of the many Poblano peppers for this season. These won't be clipped until they are large enough to be able to make stuffed peppers. I'm not sure if these will be any good but I will post the recipe if it does come to fruition. 





For the first time ever, I am including a video in a post. This was shot with my new Canon T2i camera and I know it is fairly crude but I will hopefully get better at it. Don't freak out if you don't hear me speaking because I didn't say anything at all. This is a virtual walk-through of the current state of the garden. I hope you like it and will offer constructive criticism. 


This is it for this week's update! You can find this week's update in photos HERE!

Until next time!

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment