Sunday, August 21, 2011

Weekly Farm Update! 8/21/11

I am very glad that the weekend is finally here and I can share a few photos from the "farm".

The tomatoes are still the dominant veggies producing fairly well in the garden. The season is slowly winding down but is still warm enough for these beauties to put out. Harvesting has been scaled back a bit but it continues nonetheless.

Last week, I talked about moving a raised bed from behind the garage to the main garden and I may move the second one. There are a couple of plants back there that are still producing but will be moved for the new season. I want to clean up and have it ready for the fall season this year but I now I am running a bit late on that.

There are needed upgrades for the farm and I am slowly trying to get through them. The drip/irrigation system will, hopefully, be done tomorrow. The main line was put in a few weeks ago but has not been finished. I need to attach the sprayers and attachments to it.

The left half of the garden will soon have more raised beds. The cats are getting to be to much of a hassle and raised beds will be useful, as long as certain things are added to the beds. I'm planning on using pvc pipes to a  make mini hoop-house for each bed. I'm not sure what to use as the covering and I am open to any ideas. So, please make suggestions.

Of course, more plant support is necessary. The tomato plants this year have gotten fairly large and they had to be trimmed back quite a bit. The large pvc trellis has been great for the yellow pear tomatoes and it seems to be holding up fine.

Here is a shot of the area behind the garage with the lonely raised bed. I will save it from its despair and move it over soon. The area with the chicken wire being held by  bricks is where the other bed was moved from and it may be planted with something.

The plants that are still back here are setting fruit but not as much as its counterparts that get full sun, but they do ok. You can see the drip system tube going through here but I'm not sure if the bed back here really needs it. The soil stays fairly moist and not much watering is needed anyway.




The newly relocated bed had some strawberry plants put into it but will be filled in shortly. I have a larger container with more strawberries that will probably be put in here. I put these in by themselves to see how they did and they seem to be doing fine. I didn't want to run the risk of losing all of them at once. 



The last photo for this week is of my wife's Nagami kumquat tree. This is a dwarf version and has been doing well in a container. This one requires a lot of water as the sun can dry out container plants much easier. I will be attaching the drip system to water this too.

That is it for this week and I will be back with more updates soon. There is not that much going on in the garden right now. I hope to be doing a separate post on putting in the needed upgrades and a few other things.



Until next time!

Luis

You can find the rest of the photos for this week's update HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment