Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekly Farm Update: 7/24/11

There was some construction done in the garden this weekend and some small injuries were sustained but nothing major. I will leave that news until next week.

First up is one of the beds from behind the garage. The radishes are getting bigger each day and some may be ready shortly. I haven't had as much growing from this bed as I was hoping, but we'll see how it turns out. The major growth has been radishes but bunching onions have also made an appearance.

I have said that the eggplants have been coming in but no real proof has been shown and that ends this week! These are 3 Black Beauties on one plant but the middle one has been clipped. There are about 5-6 fruits in the fridge right now and we are trying to figured out how to eat them. We grilled the first one of the season and thoroughly enjoyed it. We might be making a small eggplant lasagna or eggplant parmesan. They both sound amazing and we my try both.

Even after clipping one off, there are still another 3-4 on left on the plant  There are also Front Runners have only put out one fruit, and is a little behind, but it may get more.



This is a tiny sampling of how many yellow pear tomatoes this one plant has on it. There are around 10 bunches on it and each bunch has 10-15 tomatoes on it. I have been enjoying these all season, but can't seem to eat them fast enough. I have 5-6 of these plants and they are all producing like crazy! The plants seem to have new branches all the time, but I've tried to keep them under control. I try to keep up on the suckers but they grow quickly.


The Early Girls are not fair behind on production and need to be harvest every other day or so. Each harvest brings in about a gallon size zip lock bag. Tomatoes have been given away to family, neighbors, friends and anybody else that comes by. My wife and I have also taken in bags in to work to share with co-workers.

We know we can be canning or freeze them, but find it easier to just give them away. I know canning is not difficult but we are taking it one step at a time. We may do it next year but we are just having fun with it for now. We enjoy the fresh and organic veggies right off the plant or vine.

I leave you this week with a big, happy bee I caught in a tree that is behind the garage. This tree was came with the house and has been trimmed down to almost nothing but it keeps coming back. It has gorgeous yellow blooms and brings some color to an otherwise monotone area.

I will be back next week for another update!

Luis

This week's update in photos is HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment