Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekly Farm Update: 7/17/11

We start with a shot that shows the wooden raised beds and a little extra.  The white "square" on the ground is a 2x2 sq foot frame that was made using pvc. I have since added chicken wire to it and added a small raised bed with bricks. I planted some pepper plants that were in containers and radishes in it. I had to find a way to keep the cats out, but also come up with a way of not needing to buy chicken wire every time.

The 3 wooden beds continue to produce delicious tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. I've had to trim down some of the tomato plants because they are simply getting too big. I will need to add more support for next Spring. The tee-pees worked fine, but only to a certain point, and then it was just nuts.

This is a close up of the Moneymaker tomato plant that was moved into the bbq pit. I thought it was big last week but I've had to trim it. There are more tomatoes that have formed on it.  Hopefully, they will make it.

I check on it every few days to make sure the soil is moist, but leave it alone for most of the time. The grass clippings and shredded paper I am using as mulch seem to be doing the trick.


The next shot shows the radishes that are slowly growing in the raised bed behind the garage area. These are coming in nicely, but it is not the only thing that has sprouted in this bed. We also have bunching onions and what I think are beets. I didn't label the different squares of the bed because I figured everything in it, other than 2 squares, are all root vegetables. The two other squares are spinach and lettuce. I'm not sure how the rest of the season will go, but we hope to get a good yield from this bed.

I decided that I didn't want to waste the empty areas of the garden and started putting in small beds of 2x2 feet. The first bed is showing life with the radish border already popping up. This bed, unlike the one above, gets full sun and heat. It has only been about two weeks since the seeds were sowed and the border is already defined. I don't remember what was planted in this one. I know there are two sections with bunching onions and probably beets for the other two squares. Regardless of what it is, I'm sure they will be enjoyed.

Overall, the farm hasn't changed much from last week, but it is exciting to see everything growing. Tomatoes and peppers are plentiful, but the eggplant is not far behind. The Black Beauties should be also plentiful this season.

I will try and grow something new every year and it seems like my wife may have the same idea. I showed some of her gorgeous plumeria blooms last week, but this one is special because this specific cutting didn't bloom at all last year. She was surprised and awed by the gorgeous yellow on the blooms, and the wonderful smell.  Apparently, the white/yellow plumerias have a richer and sweeter scent than the white/pink ones.

That's it for this week, and I will be back next week with more photos!

Luis

This week's photos can be found HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment