Sunday, June 12, 2011

Weekly Farm Update: 6/12/11

I'm back this week with great news! We've got more tomatoes than we know what to do with! The green fruit came from a branch that didn't have enough support and fell over. Once it fell, it snapped. These were cleaned and put in front of the window in the kitchen and will hopefully will turn nice and red.

The Early Girls, Yellow Pears and Cherries are abundant. There are enough yellow pears to put into snacks baggies to bring to work for lunch.  The Early Girls are eaten in salads, sandwiches or simply by themselves. I think the larger ones are the Moneymakers and those are just as delicious.

Tomatoes are not the only homegrown food that we've recently enjoyed.

The peppers are flourishing all over the place and it doesn't really seem to matter where they are being grown. This is a plant in one of the beds that is going insane, but plants in the containers are also setting fruit and don't want to lag behind. The two bottom green bells here have been clipped, along with more poblanos and banana peppers, and will be eaten soon.

One thing I have noticed is that the vegetables, especially peppers, are not as big as the ones found at the grocery store. I know commercially grown produce has products that help give bigger and better yields, but we prefer it small and natural. After all, it is just my wife and me. We don't need a massive bell pepper that can be eaten by 3-4 people. We can use it in much smaller quantities and enjoy it that much more. We also like that we are eating something that does not have any chemicals but that was covered in this blog post.

This week is full of great news as I have also found 2 very small eggplants! I believe this is a Black Beauty and this plant has another 5-6 blossoms that will hopefully set more fruit.

This variety is a high producer and we ate eggplant all the time last spring/summer. I think I have more plants this year than last, so I don't know what we will do with it all. It will probably be shared with family.

Here are more Early Girls still on the vine but there are only 2 left on this specific bunch. I got the wife out to the garden and had her pick some tomatoes for me. I am happy to say that she enjoyed the fact that she picked it herself and understands why I love doing it. I don't expect her to make it a habit but she'll pop out there every now and then.



The vine this one was attached to, had already dried up and bringing it in seemed like the only feasible option. It was washed off and added to my squash collection. I love squash as much as the next person, but I think I may have hit my limit this year already. I've got a few spaghetti and two acorn. We aren't sure how we will be eating these yet, but they will be enjoyed somehow.

I read many blogs and know that I am not the only one with squash coming out my ears. Most of these will be tossed into the microwave for a while and be made into squash soup. We don't add anything to the soup other than salt and/or pepper.


Strawberry season is in full swing and these plants seem to be thriving. Of course, we are not getting very many of them, but we only have 6 plants and they are in smallish pots. I was thinking of putting them into a bigger container. I harvested a small patch today that had carrots and onions, but I think they may go better in the greens bed. Besides, all of my lettuce has bolted and I'm not sure as to what to put in there. Of course, compost will be mixed in. The chard seems to be thriving and will probably stay where it is for now. There is enough room to put in the strawberries on one side of it. I don't know if that will work and maybe somebody may have some experience with that and can give some input.

This week ends with a fun photo. This blue bird is one that my mother-in-law bought for me. I'm sure some of you may have seen it, but here it is inside the raised bed with tomatoes and peppers. This is not the only color available, but one we really liked.

That is it for today and I will be back next week for more photos, hopefully including some of the eggplants!

Til next week!

Luis

This week's photos are HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment