Monday, May 30, 2011

Weekly Farm Update! 5/30/11

A little late but the update is here!  I was not able to do it yesterday but here it is nonetheless. I caught up with some garden chores along with making dinner with fresh veggies from the garden.  An acorn squash was made into soup and another was cooked in with a few other veggies. Of course, some are eaten fresh and almost right off the plant.

Enough talking about the food and show it off. Today we start with one of the upside down tomato planters that was made from a 2 liter bottle of coke. This one has 2 large tomatoes. I'm not sure as to what these are and all I know is that these will be eaten once ripe.


Here is my favorite shot this week and the most delicious lettuce I've ever eaten but then again, I may be a bit bias. The lettuce is still producing but as the weather heats up, I'm looking for ways to shade the greens and hopefully keep them producing longer.

I'm not holding my breath on these and have possible plants that may take their place. I have tomato, eggplant and may try growing some carrots between it all. The carrots I planted in the main tomato raised bed are looking good and will be enjoyed as well.

This is one of the few peppers popping up all over the place. This specific one is a poblano but green bell and banana peppers also coming in. I promised my wife some banana peppers last year but was not able to grown them successfully.

The peppers will be hopefully be enjoyed through the entire season.


My early girl tomatoes are getting bigger and some are turning red! There are many tomatoes all over the yard and here is a nice shot of a small bunch. I even picked some yellow pear tomatoes today and put them in the kitchen window to ripen up. I know some people out there prefer the ripen on the vine process but I don't mind picking them a little early. I think if I leave too many on the plant, they will take longer to ripen.

On the tomatillo front, I am happy to say that I found a few that are getting larger! It looks like I will be ok. It may be that there are pollinating insects out there helping me out.

The last photo this week shows more than a few buds growing on a falling cactus. This cactus puts out some amazingly gorgeous night blooming flowers in the summer. These flowers are not only gorgeous but also smell divine.

We saw this last year and fell in love with them. The rains from this last winter soaked the ground so much that the main part of the cactus started falling over but there are 4-5 new stems that are under a foot tall and look pretty healthy.

This is it for this week and I will be back next week with more photos!

Luis

This week's photos can be found HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment