Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekly Farm Update! 4/17/11

I'm back with a new update and will get right to it!

The first shot this week is the white swiss chard that has taken off. Now that I am working and really only water during the week, it gives a chance for everything to grow. I know I say this every week but the salads have been amazing. I had not clipped any lettuce in about a week and picked enough for about 4-5 people. There is still more out there but we'll let it grow.

The weather has warmed up here and not only has the lettuce gone insane. The snow peas have grown to just under 7 feet! That is just massive and thanks to a fellow blogger, The Georgia Home Garden, I now know why the stalks are turning yellow. Turns out I just need more water! I didn't expect the plants to last all season as I know they don't like too much heat and it shows. I will be adjusting and watering more than I have.

I think all of the tomato plants, regardless of location, have those bright yellow blooms we have all come to love.  Here is a shot of one of the tomato plants in one of the raised beds. If you just joined us, no, I don't know what kind of tomatoes each specific plant this is. Labels and I have not learned to get along very well. It could be one of about 3 or 4 kinds. At the end of the day, it doesn't mater. (I know, that was a lame attempt at a joke.)

This little guy has a few bunches of blooms and keeps growing everyday. I can't wait to see the tomatoes themselves start to form. It may be a while before this happens but it is still like opening a gift on Christmas morning, at least for me. Especially because I don't know what color or shape of tomato this will  produce.

Let's get away from tomatoes for a minute and move on to my lovely snow peas. Other than not getting enough water, they are amazing! Like I said, these bad boys are just under 7 feet tall. The blooms on these things are going nuts and producing like crazy! I pick about a handful of these every single day! I don't always pick all of them and I let them develop more because I would like to eat them more as peas. I know that defeats the purpose of snap peas and the shell is tough but the peas are so darn good.

I will try to keep these going as long as possible but don't expect it to make it through the entire season. I also have a bush bean that is just under a foot tall and hope that will be a good producer as well.

Going back to tomatoes, here is the last bed. This is the that is almost exclusively tomatoes and I say almost because the carrots I planted in between them are coming in! They were there for the update I did last week but weren't big enough to really get a decent photo but guess what; they are big enough now and here they are! I love a good carrot and the first ones won't be enough to satisfy me so I had to plant some more. Besides, I had read that carrots grow well when planted with tomatoes and who am I to deny them that happiness? I hope these grow bigger and better than the ones that are directly in the ground. The ground is heavy clay-like soil and root vegetables haven't done too well for me. By putting them in the raised beds it should, ideally, grow better and longer.


Our next stop is my blooming tomatillo plant! This one came from store bought produce and I honestly didn't think it would make it very far but it now has 2-3 open blooms on it! I have read that 2 are needed in order for proper pollination but others have dispelled that theory. I started a few but this is the only one that has made it. It looks great and the blooms are just gorgeous. For now, it is still in a small pot but will be moved up at some point. Part of me just wanted to attempt it to say that I have done it. I'm sure that I'm not the only gardener that has done that. Part of gardening is experimenting with different things and trying to grow those exotic things that cost too much at the store. These are not pricey but not found everywhere. Of course, I hope this becomes a heavy producer but we'll see.


The last photo for this week is one of miniature roses. These are the same ones my mother in law brought over around a month ago. I potted it up from the small pot it was in and they are blooming again! When I potted them up, I really didn't think they would bloom again but I guess I was wrong. It is amazing as to what plants can take and keep on ticking. These beauties haven't been through much but have stay gorgeous through the entire ordeal.

This concludes this week's update but please tune in next week, around the same tine, for a new update. Thank you and happy gardening!

Luis

This week's update in photos is HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Luis, very nice blog. There is lots of information and it is nicely laid out. Your snow peas are huge, and I noticed your variety has purple flowers where as mine are white. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my cherry tomato seeds just germinated... yours are healthy.

    ReplyDelete