Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weekly Farm Update

First Salad of the Season
I cannot believe it has already been a week from my last farm update. I am happy to report that the eggplants is coming back and may produce again this year. I've heard the term "over-wintering" for plants but didn't think I could do it. The gist of the term is that the plants are somehow protected from freezing by bringing them indoors. Heat may be needed but just by being indoors should be good. Although living in Southern California, I didn't bring it in and just left the plants outside. It is not only the eggplant but also a cherry tomato plant. There are new buds on both plants and will hopefully set fruit.

Getting back to the reason of the post, everything in the garden is looking good. There were more radishes harvested today but also clipped some lettuce leaves. We had the first salad of the season with diced radishes.

New Buds on Eggplant
 I pulled all of the radishes from the first batch and left the area open. Some radishes were good sized but about half were on the smaller side. I decided to take them all out because there was way too much moisture and there are rains expected this weekend. I didn't think it would make much difference if I left them in.


My Garden Guardian

There has also been up-potting of smaller plants into yogurt cups and 2 liter bottles. I am also happy to report that most of the raised beds have been filed with tomato, pepper plants and some root veggies. I've included onions, beets and a few others. I still have plants in my greenhouse that will be waiting for warmer weather.

The moment you have been waiting for! The photos for this week have been uploaded HERE.



Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog.

Luis

3 comments:

  1. Hi, found your awesome blog on Take Back UH. We just 8 inches of snow where we live and I am so eager to get some lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I know it's early for gardening for most of the country and all are eager to get going.

    Thanks again,

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suggestion: you're ready to try hybridizing. Nice pics. Makin' me hungry.

    ReplyDelete