Friday, February 11, 2011

My Home-made Upside-Down Tomato Planter

The Final Result
Upside-down planters have been around for a while and I'm sure most people have seen them in the stores. The success of the original planter for tomatoes went so well that it sparked off more products for the line. These planters have gotten mixed reviews but there is something about growing plants upside down. Prices range on the different planters and some are pretty cheap. Why not just make one at home?

I found a great blog, The Cheap Vegetable Gardener, that had basic instructions on how to make one from a 2 liter bottle, some string and a chopstick. I had all that stuff lying around taking up space and I was looking for more ways to pot-up some of my many seedlings and this looked like a great way to go.


Close-Up
There are a few different versions of the planter on the site and those can be found HERE. I made the version with the duct tape and it looks pretty decent.  I know it may not look pretty but we will see how well it does the job. 


I hung it on a stand that my mother in law bought me to hang a hummingbird feeder. The feeder helps balance out the weight on the stand but these can be pretty much hung up anywhere that can carry the weight. 


This is just the beginning for this planter but I may make a few more. I will be keep updates on how well this is doing. Those will probably just be added to my general "farm updates". 


As always, I am open to questions and/or comments.


Luis


No comments:

Post a Comment