Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Mother: The Gardener

Spaghetti Squash
For as long as I can remember, there have always been plants at home. I never really thought about it at the time but it makes sense now. Mom has told me that her father, my grandfather, was the same way.

She has always had the love for plants and flowers but not necessarily for growing food. It didn't take much to get her on that path.

Bell Pepper
She stopped by the house to drop off some things and asked if I needed a ride anywhere. I don't have a car and took to opportunity to not only to get out of the house but also to spend some time with her. I really didn't need anything but had thought about getting a seedling or two from the nursery. I didn't know how long it had been since she had been to a nursery and thought it would be something new for her. What was the worse that could happen?

Squash
When we arrived at the nursery, her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. It took a second to take it all in and slowly began to walk through it all. There were plants of all kinds; vegetables, herbs, houseplants and many others. I knew where I was going and headed in that direction. She followed me and began collection plants even faster than I was and ended up buying some.

Cherry Tomato
She started off with cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers. These plants went directly into the ground and she has been enjoying them ever since. I have hooked her on growing some of her own vegetables and is anxiously waiting for next Spring.

Luis

P.S: The photos are recent and plants are the end of the season. They do not look as good as they did in their prime.



No comments:

Post a Comment