Sunday, September 26, 2010

Heat and the Garden

If you live in Southern California, like I do, you know that it will be and has been very warm lately. It is not easy for the garden to deal with it. Luckily, I had already put up "posts" and hung burlap from them to help with some shade. I went out yesterday and hung the burlap back up and the plants are doing much better today. 


Like people, plants need to stay hydrated to survive. I went through and soaked all plants through and hope they will be fine but nothing is guaranteed. 


I will keep up the burlap probably for the rest of the week and water regularly. I know there are many out there that don't have the longer growing season that I have but it is just so hot. This summer was fairly cool and tomato season was a little slow but the heat is coming back with a vengeance. 


I did an online search and found some great articles on dealing with the heat in the garden. I hope they help bring some relief for those over-heated plants. 

1. Houston Grows: 10 ways to fight heat in the garden
2. How to Prevent Heat Stress in Your Garden Plants 

If there are any tips that are not listed here or on the linked pages that have worked for you, please let us know.

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment