Monday, September 13, 2010

Chile Verde with Chicken



I sent out a tweet earlier today looking for salsa verde as I have many tomatillos. I got a reply back from @favediets with this recipe and I decided to try it. I tried to stick to the recipe as much as possible but did not add the chiles and used about half the chicken. I am only cooking for 2 and 8 chicken thighs is a bit much. 

This is the recipe in question: Chile Verde with Chicken

I am still learning how to cook and reducing sauces or anything for that matter has not been learned. I did research online for best ways to do it and here are my thoughts on the recipe itself.

As I said before, I did not add the canned diced or chipotle chiles. I know this probably made it harder but if you have read my previous recipes, I do not do well with spicy food. With that said, the recipe is as simple as it seems. I did add about 2 cups of chicken broth because I did not see as to how the 1 cup would last for 45 minutes. Then again, it may have been because the canned chiles were not added and the liquid from that needed to be replaced. It took only about 30 minutes for chicken to fully cook and leaving it in the mixture would have resulted in dry chicken. I took out the chicken and let the rest of ingredients simmer. Once it seemed like it was done, I went ahead and put the chicken back in and added the lime juice and cilantro. I must say that it does smell amazing and cannot wait to have some later for dinner.

All in all, I liked the recipe but will need to find the canned chiles for the next time. They not only add necessary liquid but will also thicken the chicken stock and make it seem more like the normal salsa verde I am used to. I may try the chipotle chile the next time as well, it all depends on the mood I am in. I do not always want any sort of spicy. 

I will be adding a side dish or two but not much more. I will see what happens..

Luis 


No comments:

Post a Comment