Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why Gardening?

Gardening has been around as long as we have enjoyed food, and that is a long time. Home gardening has been around for a while and it just continues to bloom. There was a huge push by the government during WWII for families to grow their own fruits and vegetables in their "Victory Gardens". This effort allowed for a large portion of canned goods to be used for the military.

I am not gardening for the same reasons, not entirely anyways. I want to be more self reliant when it comes to vegetables and fruit. I only say fruit because tomatoes are technically a fruit and the massive Valencia orange tree in the backyard fall under the same category. Like most kids, I did not like vegetables and like most kids, I could not tell you why. As we all grow up, our tastes change and vegetables are now more appealing to me.  

Vegetables are more appealing and seeds are a wonder to me. There is something about the fact that with a single seed, I can reproduce many more. One seed has given me countless cherry tomatoes. One seed can reproduce many times over and those new vegetables are full of more seeds. The cycle for me is just amazing and I cannot ignore it. I hope I never lose this amazement.

In order to take care of those seeds that turn into plants, there is the issue of garden pests. Many people have turned to the organic or at least what they call organic gardening. The only outside thing that I really have introduced to my garden is a little soap and water  mixture. You would also be amazed as to how well just picking off the pests and bugs from those plants really works. There are many products out there that claim to be organic but reading labels shows otherwise. I guess my point is that I just want to keep it as natural as possible and the only way to do so is by grown my own. 

By growing my own and not using chemicals, the flavor of the food is much more intense! Who knew fruits and vegetables had their own distinct flavor? If you go by what is found in a regular grocery store, we may as well be eating porridge. There is a reason for the amount of vegetables that are available. Granted, not all vegetables can be grown in every part of the world but just the number of available for each area is astonishing. There may be countless vegetables that are available to grow in my area, but I am starting with some basics and sprinkling in some unusual ones. 

The sheer amount of vegetables, just floored me. Once I got over the initial shock, I sat down realized that I was becoming more self-sufficient. I think that this is a major reason many people garden. I know some people kind of have to because of location and availability, or lack thereof, of produce. It is not getting any easier out there either. Pollinating insects are running dangerously low, because of all the pesticides that are used on our crops, and crops are not being properly pollinated. This of course, puts a strain on the food that is produced and prices go sky high. Sky high produce prices are a great reason to garden.

Well, I think this covers it. There may be other reasons but this is what I could come up with. I hope this gives you a sliver as to why I do what I do. I just realized as to how long this post has gotten and hope  you have gotten through it. Hopefully I did not bore you too much and you can take something from it. 

I will be back later with more posts,

Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment