Thursday, August 19, 2010

Egg Carton Gardening

Today is about using those containers that we usually toss out but could be using. While planning on the new seeds that would be started, I thought about having to buy more trays. Then this brought the thought that I want to keep to a free or cheaper alternative. I know these trays are not too expensive but "A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned."

My mother-in-law has been an amazing help with my gardening, asked me if I had already started planning for my next plantings. I told her about my dilemma and she told me to do some research online about "Egg Carton Gardening." Wow, I found so many blog posts and articles all over the internet about something I had never heard of.

I started texting friends and made a strange request, strange to them at least. I asked if they had any egg cartons that I could have. Of course, many asked as to why I needed them. Once they understood, a few said they would try to remember to not toss them out.

One of the replies I got was from my sister, and she made good on her promise. I am not saying nobody else won't but this was the first. Thanks to the egg cartons I got, I have now started more lettuce, beets, turnips and radish seeds.

The process is not very difficult and is the same idea as using the store bought trays with individual cells.

Materials:
Seed Starting Mix or Potting Soil
Egg Cartons
Seeds
Spray Bottle (recommended but not necessary)


Instructions:
1. Fill in "cells" with mix or potting soil.
2. Press in center of every cell with finger.
3. Drop in seeds.
4. Cover up seeds with mix or soil.
5. Spray with water until moist.

It is pretty simple to get these going and it should not take long to do. These trays can now be put next to a sunny window. They should be not be put out in full sun and in full heat as they may not make it. They can also be put into a greenhouse. I have a cheap home-made one that I will be posting about soon.

Stay tuned for more soon.

-Luis

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great suggestion for using egg cartons! Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete