Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Baking Eggplant

Well,

Here is the first real gardening post. If you have been keeping up with my blog, you may have read my post about cooking spaghetti squash. This is my first attempt with eggplant and will be trying many others since I will have a steady stream of it. There are two more that will be ready for harvesting in a day or so.

Anyways, you came for a simple recipe for eggplant and let's get to it.

Ingredients:
2 Small Eggplants
1 Small Tomato.
1 Small Bell Pepper
1 Really small Habanero Pepper (these guys pack a punch)
1/2 Round Onion
1 14oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 Lime
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Olive Oil

Kitchen Equipment:
Food Processor or Blender
Baking Dish w/ lid

Serves: 2-3

Cooking Time:
About 30 mins. at 350.

Instructions:
1. Rinse all vegetables.
2. Very lightly coat baking dish with olive oil. 
3. Cut up Eggplants into chunks and place into baking dish.
4. Place onion, bell pepper, small tomato, and habanero pepper into food processor or blender.
5. Start Pre-Heating oven to 350.
6. Puree all vegetables together and pour over eggplant.
7. Squeeze entire lime into mixture.
8. Pour entire contents of canned tomatoes in backing dish.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Mix contents in bowl fully.
11. Cover dish with lid and place into oven carefully. (as long as oven is ready)
12. Set the timer for about 30 mins.

These are the basic instructions and if I can do it, anybody can. I know it sounds cliche' but I don't know if I have ever used an oven all by myself. My wife bakes and cooks in it but this was really my first time alone.

A few notes on the recipe:
1. If you are using a baking dish with no lid, your time may be shorter. 

2. I did it in increments of about 10 mins and it all added up to about 30 mins. 

3. Eggplant should be tender. Adjust time as you see fit. 

4. Habanero Peppers are 1 of the hottest and should be added in tiny amounts or none at all if you don't like spicy.

It turned out really good but the pepper was too spicy for me after a few pieces and was not able to finish my portion. You may want to cut it out entirely or use less spicy peppers. My wife loves eggplant and is waiting for more recipes / experiments / concoctions I can come up with. 

Well, that is it for now and I will be back with something else later. 

Stay tuned,

Luis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note:

I just wanted to publicly thank my wife for her amazing support through my gardening adventures. I know I have spent more than I probably could have or should have and she has been there for me. She is always eager to taste the food that comes out of the garden and I do not know where I would be without her. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to give this recipe a try. I *love* eggplant. I'm actually allergic to it, (my mouth gets itchy!), but I eat it anyway. LOL.

    The little note to your wife there at the end is nice. I try to remember to thank my husband often, too. You seem like a creative type with lots of ideas, (I am too), and living with people like us isn't always easy, (especially for my husband who is very Type A.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a bit of sour cream or thick whipping-type cream to dull the bite of the habanero. It might work.

    ReplyDelete